- Avoid harsh shampoos. Most dandruff treatments are tough on colored hair. But they are death to redheads, accelerating the fading process by weeks.
- Don't be tempted by eggplant tones. Purplish-reds don't look natural and are rarely flattering. Choose a color that can be described as coppery, auburn, or strawberry instead.
- Wash your hair as infrequently as possible. Ideally this would mean twice a week, but every other day will suffice if your hair is oily or very fine. On alternate days, you can rinse your hair with tepid (never hot) water if necessary, or dust your roots with a dry shampoo.
- Cover up. Red hair color oxidizes faster than any other. So, if you're going to spend a lot of time outdoors, use a styling product that contains UV filters, or throw a hat or scarf over your strands.
Makeup tips for redheads:
- Do think pink. Pink lip color and blush look gorgeous on redheads, despite outdated advice to the contrary.
- Avoid dark, smoky eyes. They compete with your attention-grabbing tresses.
- Don't match your brows and hair; it looks bizarre.